Thursday, July 29, 2010

{ Kindergarden or 1st grade?}

Last week Ayden did his kindergarden testing. I knew that with his 3 years of preschool he would probably be a little bit ahead of the other kids in his class, but I wasn't sure. Logan took him for his testing and his teacher said that he only missed 2 things on the whole test. He was the only one who read the story at the end of the test, and the only one who knew the answer to the subtraction question.

Well a few days before school started I got a phone call from Mrs. Moon, Ayden's teacher. She seemed very concerned because Ayden tested so far ahead of the other kids in his class, she wanted to move him to first grade! She had already talked to the principal about getting the process started.

I voiced my concerns to her about his age and how I didn't want him to be so much younger than all the other kids in his class. I told her that if at all possible, I'd like to keep him in kindergarden. Wether that is the right or wrong choice, I'm not sure.

She said that we will do a trial period for the next few weeks. She is going to send him with different homework than the class and he will take home the 1st grade reading books. She is going to have him help her with the class and hopefully he can be an example to the other kids.

I'm so proud of my little guy. He truly loves learning.

He was a little nervous on his first day of school, since he has gone to the same school for the last 3 years. He was a trooper though, no tears!


{For breakfast he asked for crepes with strawberries}


{holding up a K for Kindergarden}
I can't believe he is so big! And only 1 year until my Sophie is in Kindergarden! I am amazed at how fast they grow!

4 comments:

Karrissa Winward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karrissa Winward said...

Way to go Ayden! School already started?!?

Gram said...

I am so happy that Ayden has started school and tested so well. I think your reasoning behind his remaining in kindergarten is understandable.

I had the same decision to make for your mother and held her back, but it helped her in high school when she did her junior and senior years together and graduated early to go to the "Y".

Lynn also had an October birth date and because the district cut-off was Dec. 31, he started early and did well. He did study extra hard because he wanted perfection and couldn't quite achieve it. So I can see benefits both ways.

WIKKY said...

I knew for sure that would happen, that little genious! Hopefully it all works out for him! Awesome!