Friday, November 16, 2007

"Health kick"

I have to say, that I am the first person to roll their eyes at someone on a "health kick". Most of it is probably jealousy because I'm usually not strong enough to have that much control, but I also think that eating is one of life's true pleasures and never giving in to your desire for something tasty is just a crime.

My other hesitation has always been the fact that I don't like vegetables. It's kind of hard to eat healthy if you don't eat vegetables, right?

Well, my inspiration came when I went out to visit my sister in NY. She does such a great job of having healthy snacks for her children and eating healthy the best she can without going overboard. So I decided that when I got back, I'd give it a shot.

So, aside from the vegetable thing, I have been doing a lot better. I started by switching to whole wheats (something I'm sure most people already do, but I was really hung up on that white bread). Then I switched out all our snacks for stuff from Good Earth like, Pirates booty, tings, fruit leathers, and lots of granola and fruit. The funny thing is, the kids love it! And I don't have to feel like crap when I want a snack in the day.

It's amazing the difference you feel when you eat things that are good for your body. It's like you body is saying "thank you". Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a lovely beverage at any chance, eat ice cream before bed, etc. Those are the things that make me, me. But I have learned to control a little bit of what goes in my body, and I am loving the feeling it gives me.

7 comments:

Richard B said...

Mary, you just amaze me with your learning experiences and perpective of life. What great fun to be able to read about you and your thoughts. Keep it up!

Gram said...

Good job Mary! Keep up the good work. Maybe some day you will find a vegetable actually tastes good. Keep up your lovely blog as I enjoy your comments and the pictures each day. Hope the family is doing well!

Heidi said...

I'm like you...never been a health nut... NOT EVER! But I did the same thing, when I took a look in my sisters pantry and thought, wow, she eats really well! So, I copied her and bought lots of healthy snacks. It makes a world of difference in my energy level. How do you not like veggies. i really don't understand. :)

WIKKY said...

you and chelle are on the same level it looks like! That is awesome. but you really have to admit that there is nothing better than a Wendy's Frosty. hee hee

Unknown said...

MARY,
Yea, I am so glad you are a blogger. Your family is so cute. I hope everthing is going good. You look so happy. Keep in touch. My blog is brianandsavannah.blogspot.com
Love,
Savannah

Abi said...

you and chell are thinking the same! i think that i need some more greens in my house as well. really your body does love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you for being more health conscious. You look great so you should feel great, too!