Friday, November 2, 2007

from Mommy. . . to Mom

I don't know how I feel about this, but my son has decided that I am no longer Mommy. It's just Mom now. I never thought it would matter that much, but I really liked being a mommy. I take it as a sign of him growing up and I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that.

I was talking with my sister-in-law Whitney today about how tired we are because the kids get up so early. Then we both realized that in just a few short years they won't want to come climb in bed with us at the wee hours. Those are some of the sweetest moments and they will be gone so soon.

So I guess I'm saying, I like being a Mommy. I like having my kids in my bed at the crack of dawn. I like having someone who depends on me so much and trusts me so much. Even when I'm angry with Ayden he cries for me. He wants me to comfort him and he always likes to talk to me. Sometimes, when I'm busy and don't notice him calling me he says, "Mom, listen to me! I'm talking to you!" I think about how soon the time will come when he doesn't really want to talk to me anymore. When he's busy too with his friends.

I have decided to try even more to appreciate every minute I have with these little ones. I'm sure that any mother of older children will admit that the time went too fast. I look forward to that too, but for the time being, I am completely content with being a Mommy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's really nothing like a "lovin' station!" I'm glad you recognize it and appreciate the sweetness of little ones. And I'm glad I'm still "Momma" on your blog.

laura said...

Thanks for the reminder to cherish this time with young children. I feel like I treat Connor too old a lot of the time and don't just let him be a 4-year-old. I need this reminder!

Abi said...

So so true. I came to that realization a couple of months ago. I am so much happier now. They will be so old soon and I will miss this! Even when it is hard!
Great post from a great MOM!

Gram said...

I loved your thoughtful comments Mary. I guess Ayden is growing older if he wants to call you Mom, now. I may be old but I remember well the days of all the kids jumping in bed in the morning and wrestling around. Usually this happened on a Saturday morning and I, too, have fond memories of that. I don't think we had enough 'lovin stations', but they are great!

Cami said...

ditto! that has been my goal for a while now too! being a mommy rocks!

Natalie Que said...

That is so sweet! I totally agree. Your kids sound like cute, sweet little angels. I am always so glad to hear how much you enjoy being a Mom and enjoy your children. So do I!

Lindsay said...

Always putting things in perspective for me Mary! Although, I would be pretty happy with waking up in the wee hours of the morning if it were just once, not every 3 hours :o). I do love being a mommy though, despite the bumps and bruises! I am getting my first smiles, and it just melts my heart. You are such a good mommy!

Heidi said...

You always make me cry!!! I'm not even a mom... you are so cute. Hey, how do I get an obuba from you?

Bree said...

Wow, that's very true about the transition to "Mom". I actually still call my mom mommy or mama. Guess I never really grew up! When Luke starts the "mom" stage, I feel like I will start feeling old myself! I guess that's a pretty big step to independence; but they will always know you're #1, "moms" and "mommy's" aside!