Thursday, October 25, 2007

My baby boy . . . is 3!!

This week we had a wonderful experience! We celebrated Ayden's birthday. I don't think it's possible to celebrate one of your children's birthdays without reflecting on the previous years of their life. I was thinking about how excited I was to be pregnant and become a mother. When I went into labor with him I was so excited to finally meet this little guy. He was a dream baby. As an infant he hardly ever cried. He was always content. As a toddler he became a little more difficult (as most children do) but he has always been a sweetheart. He has a tender heart and he is a very affectionate child. He has started thoroughly entertaining us lately, which makes this whole parenting thing even more fun.

When he woke up this morning he came in our bed for a "lovin station". He asked for a story so I told about a little boy whose parents stayed up really late decorating the house for his birthday party. He was really excited when he realized I was talking about him. His face lit up when he walked out and saw this-

We had a blast with the balloons and Sophie's crazy hair! Of course, she loved it too! :)


As the guests started arriving, Ayden was all smiles. First up was pin the tail on the turtle. The kids waited patiently in line for their turn while Logan sprayed dots in their hair with green hair spray.


Next up was the turtle egg hunt. I found camo bouncy balls and we hid them in the yard. The kids had to crawl around like turtles and find the eggs.

The final activity was the turtle race. We set up a raceway on the side of our house and they had to race on their hands and knees for the finish line. By this point, Ayden was crying and didn't want to participate anymore. Thanks to some comfort from Nana, he joined us for the rest of the party.


We came inside for some lunch and to open presents. That was by far Ayden's favorite part, and is always my least favorite part. I can't stand the chaos. Well Logan came up with a system that proved to be very helpful! He set up some chairs and the child who's present he was opening got to come sit by him and help. The kids all waited patiently for their turn, it was a miracle! Best present opening yet!

The last present was a scooter from Mom and Dad! I think it was a hit!

After presents we had cake and ice cream. Yummy! I stayed up late trying to make the perfect turtle cake. Well, it's not perfect, but I think it turned out alright!


And last but not least. . . it was finally time for goodie bags and t-shirts! I know that's most of the kid's favorite part. They were really excited about the fun t-shirts that Logan made with a turtle and their initial on it. We got a group shot of all our guests in their new t's!

Top row: Bronson, Brandt, Sophie, Madi, Ayden, Bridger, Clara
Bottom row:Braden, Lauryn, Kathrine, Hadlee

It was a total success! I'm so glad Ayden had a birthday and was supported by all the people he loves. Happy Birthday my little tattie, I love you!

7 comments:

laura said...

Amazing! Everything looked so great. I love it. I'll show Connor the pictures tomorrow. He'll love all the green. Your sisters-in-law and friends are all so cool too, for sending their kids in green. Makes for great photos. I love the one of them in the grass, crawling around.

Has anyone ever said that Katherine looks like Codye? I think so in one of the pictures.

Love you guys! Looks like a great party. I'm so sad we missed it.

Anonymous said...

You did a great party, Mary! It was fun to be there and comfort Ayden when he got a little overwhelmed by it all. I like knowing all his cousins and friends. You're a great Mom!

Gram said...

Oh, Mary that was so fun to read and see the pictures. I LOL at the one of Sophie with her hair standing up. It looked like a wonderful party and I'm sure Ayden will remember it. You and Logan are such loving and fun parents. Ayden is a sweet little boy and has such a nice streak to him. I wasn;t surprised that he was overwhelmed by it all. GREAT PARTY!
GOOD IDEAS AND THE CAKE LOOKED GREAT!

WIKKY said...

It was such a fun party!!! We can't compete with that! My girls had a blast and Lauryn loved the turtle dots in her hair!

Abi said...

That was such a great party! I am so glad you weren't stressed out. I always seem to stress out and it ruins it!
I love the shirts and the color theme!!

Heidi said...

That is the cutest party ever! Where on earth did you get those ideas? What a mom!

Natalie Que said...

What the?! What an amazing Mom (and Dad!) you must be to pull off a birthday party like that! I am completely impressed! I am not going to show my kids this post so they don't know how lame the parties are that I throw...