Monday, October 29, 2007

Making me look good

I'm sure every mother has those times when your child does or says something that really doesn't make you look good. I know that when I was little and living in Korea, I embarrassed my parents when (as the bishop's daughter) I was asked what we did in our home for FHE and I replied, "Oh, we don't have Family Home Evening at our house." We had it every week, but because it wasn't formally announced as FHE, I didn't realize that's what we were doing.

Well, while we were in NY with my sister, Ayden took the opportunity to make me bad. We were eating at a restaurant in the city and when they brought him his plate with a sandwich and carrot sticks, he quickly replied, "HEY!! CARROTS ARE FOR HORSES!" That's right, in our house we teach that veggies are for animals, not people.

Another night Laura was sitting on the couch reading to Connor and when asked if he'd like to join in he said, "No, I don't like reading. I just like watching movies." The funny thing is, he loves reading. He is always begging us to read to him, but for some reason he wanted to make it look like that's not something we promote in our house. What a nut!

I'm sure I will have many more times like these, when my children decide to make me look bad. For now, I'll just smile and remember that I'm not alone, right?

4 comments:

Richard B said...

What goes around comes around. Things like you mentioned will continue on and on. Glad you can share them and laugh about it. You guys are always busy and enjoying life. Keep on keeping!

nanajan said...

You're a good mother, Mary, in spite of the vegetable thing! I'm glad that you can laugh about it. Ayden does love to read books I can attest to that!

Gram said...

I had to laugh at Ayden's comments. It is a good thing you can laugh at them, too. I know Ayden likes books, too. What fun you had with the pumpking carving. It is abig mess but they love it. I really am not like Nana. I never really got into Halloween, even as a kid. I guess it was because we lived out in the country and seldom got to go "Trick-or-treating". Also Halloween wasn't as big a deal as it is now.

Bree said...

So funny! The joy of having a child that can talk. I can't wait to see what Luke will have to say!

I remember I would always rat out my aunt. She would take Logan and I twice a week and when she brought us home at night she'd totally lie to my mom about what we had done that day- like she had been giving us all these educational experiences when really we had just followed her around the mall all day. I would always correct her in front of my mom! :)