Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The female body. . . what a phenomenom!

I think that most of the time, as women, we are not all that impressed with our bodies. We are critical of every bump and curve. We examine every angle and constantly long to look like someone else. Well yesterday, my big sister ( I guess technically I should say older sister since she is substantially smaller then me) gave birth to her third child.

Whenever someone you know has a baby, you stop and think for a minute about the miracle of life. This time I have been consumed with thoughts of the the miracle of the female body.

My 5'1" sister gave birth to a 9lb baby. That is ridiculous! Ridiculous that her body can even carry a baby that large, let alone deliver it. I am in absolute shock. The fact that our bodies were made to be able to do something like that is unfathomable to me. And it gave me a little perspective on the purpose of these bodies we've been given. They are not given to us to perfect. They are give to us to experience all the wonderful things this life has to offer. And I think everyone would agree that the experience of carrying a child inside of you, and bring that child into the world with a body of their own is one that cannot be matched. I'm so grateful that I am female and that I've been blessed, twice, with that incomparable experience.



Welcoming Ayden Sean to the world!



Introducing the beautiful Sophie Lynn!

9 comments:

Richard B said...

It is interesting to hear you think about life and your body. It's always good to consider such things and be thankful to God for what He has done for us. There are a few body things I'd like to discuss with Him, but I guess I'll have to wait.

Chelle said...

This was a beautiful post, Mary.... from beginning to end I loved it. Thanks for sharing and the awesome reminder. Ditto, four times over for me! : )

Abi said...

I love the belly pictures. They are so beautiful! What a wonderful post. Hopefully your sister reads that one. She'll like it. I can't believe her boy was 9 LBS! You are such a wonderful woman Mar! I hope you aren't too critical of your lovely bod. I know I think it's beautiful! What did she name him?

WIKKY said...

You are so cute pregnant (and not pregnant too!) It is quite a miracle and you just have to leave it at that.

Lindsay said...

Wow, you looked AWESOME pregnant!

I agree that this was a much needed post. I loved it.

Gram said...

Great post Mary. I loved your insight. It is a miraculous thing to carry a baby and give birth to this incredible little child. What an awesome responsibility. I am like you - I couldn't believe Laura could give birth to a 9 pounder. Thank goodness for epidurals!

laura said...

Hey! I'm 5'2"!

Herriman Blue said...

It is quite a miracle, and one I'm so glad to be done experiencing in my life! And so happy that I have sisters and siter in laws that will still have more babies that I'll be able to enjoy!!

linds jo said...

Hey woman...
Your poor sister, I hurt for her!
Have you crunched the numbers to find out how you did at the expo?