Friday, September 16, 2011

{ SePtemBer 16tH )

Yesterday was the day each year that I look forward to and dread at the same time.
It was Salsa Day!

It starts by heading out to Day Farms in West Layton and picking our veggies. The kids were tired from a long day at school and dance, so I did most of the picking myself. Logan met us there and Sophie was really excited to pick some peppers with her Daddy.
They are such good buddies right now, it's very cute.


Thursday morning I started bright and early. Here is the salsa recipe I used this year. I was a new one and it turned out GREAT!

1/2 bushel Roma tomatoes
2-3 lg white onions
3 lg green peppers (6 small)
8-10 jalepeno peppers (depending on how hot you want it)
10 aniham peppers
1 Tbs fresh garlic
1/2 cup Salt
3 Tbs dried red peppers

Boil for 2-3 hrs depending on how thick you want it. Funnel into jars and wet bath for 40 mins.

When I take the jars out of the wet bath I lay them upside down just to insure that they seal correctly.

It took the whole live long day but I made over 50 jars most of which are were the big jars. I originally planned on doing just 3 batches but my friend Texie and I decided to make one last batch at the end of the day that was extra spicy for the boys. Both of our husbands love really spicy salsa. We got the peppers from this farm in Syracuse that is known for their spicy peppers. Logan was thrilled! I'm really happy with the way everything turned out this year. It's a long day, but we have a whole year to reap the benefits from a days work.

(I also canned peach/strawberry jam this year. It was actually a lot easier than I thought.)

3 comments:

Janet said...

I'm so glad you didn't inherit my cooking skills! You're amazing! And your strawberry peach jam was yummy at lunch today!

WIKKY said...

homemaker of the year award fo sho!!!
Nice job!

Gram said...

Great job Mary. I haven't ever done the picking but that is a lot of work in addition to the whole day of canning. I am glad you love to make salsa and have a good friend to help you. How did Myla do that day?