Wednesday, July 20, 2011

{ Cabin fun! }

Last weekend we went to the Hammer Hideway for a little family getaway! The kids are always so excited to get away as a family. (something we know they will soon grow out of)

The last time we went it was cold outside and the kids definitely got cabin fever. They are too active to stay inside all day. So we were excited to go up there with good weather! One of our first adventures was the 3 Bears Trail.

When Logan was little it was a very well-kept trail with signs, benches, and treats along the way. But it has become very run-down over the last 20 years and is in need of some repairs. The kids still just love it!

{ stopping at Mama Bear for a rest }

{Daddy fixing up Papa bear }

{ Lewis and Daddy }

{ Mama and Baby Jae }

It's great to have kids old enough to take pictures of us together. This was taken by Sophie.

The hike was a little scary in parts, especially where a huge tree had been uprooted and was blocking the path. It never ceases to amaze me how strong Logan is. He carried a backpack with snacks and drinks in it, as well as the Myla Jae the whole way up and down. He's awesome.

{ the uprooted tree }

{ the roots }

The best part of being away as a family is seeing the kids play together. I know some siblings choose to play together, but that is not the case with these 2. They have their own friends and their own interests. But when we step out of the real world for a few days, they have the opportunity to spend time together and build their friendship. They were good buddies this trip. And it melted my heart when I woke up the morning we got back from the cabin and found Sophie had climbed into bed with Ayden during the night.

{We stopped at Mama bear on the way down for a quick rest and drink break }

{ Myla was such a good sport. Love her. }

There is a rope swing a few cabins down from us and the kids love to go swing.


Lately I have really been enjoying Boston. He is such a good dog and I really enjoy having him in our family. Not only is he super chill, and doesn't beg (a pet peeve) the kids adore him. Especially Myla! And he is so wonderful with her. She will come up to him when he's chewing a rawhide bone and take it right out of his mouth. Then she'll run away and get him to chase her for it. He will run after her so cautiously and try to snatch it without ever knocking her down or biting her fat little hands. It's quite impressive. Her face lights up when she sees him and I'd say they play for at least 20-30 mins out of each day together.



{ Myla and Boston playing ball }

{ the kids on the big swings at the park in Wildwood }

It was a great weekend and I'm so thankful that I have such a great family. I love my children and my husband with all of my heart. Although being a mother is very challenging at times, these people bring me more joy than I knew I could ever feel.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Fun times at the Hammer cabin! You're good parents to have such fun with your kids!

laura said...

Looks like fun. I love the picture with Sophie in a shirt that says 'princess' making a scary face and Ayden workin' the camera. Your kids rock. You sure you don't want to send 'em out to me for a week or two!?

WIKKY said...

Ahhh man, we need to get there more. Glad you had such a great time!

Laura H said...

I love that you talked about the furry family member 'cause they are important too!