Monday, November 10, 2008

{ the ultimate exchange}


Today was a big day for Sophie Lynn.  I have been thinking about it for a while, and I'm finally ready to get rid of the binky. (oh come on! we all know that Mom is way more attached than child)

We took all of her binky's to walmart and Sophie got to pick out a toy to exchange them for. I used this technique with Ayden and his sippy and it was a huge success! She very quickly found what she wanted . . . 


Dora and Diego
(aka do0-ra and yea-go)



She was thrilled with her purchase!

She played with them for the next couple hours but when it was nap time she wasn't as excited.  She kept saying, "where's my binky?" then she would explain to herself, "to the lady".

It was painful . . .  but well over an hour later, and after many tears. . . she finally fell asleep.

One nap down . . . 

15 comments:

Holly and Brad said...

Good for you! And Sophie too :)

Chase still has a binky but I was silently wondering how in the world I was going to break him of it. This sounds like a great idea! When we are ready I will have to try it. Thanks for the tip!

Karrissa Winward said...

Good idea! It's a fun thing to do, getting rid of the binky. McKinley is having a harder time for naps then bed time though. Good luck!

Keith Parsons said...

Yea!

For Karrissa this was a trade for a 'My Little Pony' - but it's MUCH harder to get rid of a Thumb than a binky...

Good luck with the transition!

Janet said...

I love that little stinker! What cute pictures!

Gram said...

Oh, I loved those photos. She is sooo happy standing in the cart with those dolls. I hope nap times become easier for her. She does looks sweet when she is asleep. At least she remembered why she didn't have the binky; they went to the lady.

WIKKY said...

Hooray for Walmart and all of the many toys! Way to go Sophie, you are getting to be way too big!!!

Abi said...

She is so big. Wow I cannot believe it! That is such a big accomplishment. I always feel my kids sleep better with out the binkie when they are older. Hopefully it'll stick. She is so darling!

jenny said...

OH MY GOSH! Sophie is so flipping cute in those pictures! She looks so big! Well good job, I hope it gets easier- at least she understands. I'm excited for Thursday:)

BRIANA said...

Good idea---and holy cow she is so darn cute! She looks like a little blonde Mary (with a little bit of Logan!) How adorable!

Florence Family said...

Hi! It's Emily Littledike. I just had to comment that we just did the same thing with our 2 yr. old. He obviously got a train instead of Dora. I have to agree, it's DEFINITELY harder for the mom. She is too too cute!! Anyways, wish you luck.

Tim & Nancy said...

I this is Tim Glover's wife (from the Mission). That is a really good idea about the binky. I love that it calms gavin down and I am not ready to let it go. Good Luck! And I hope you don't mind that I read your blog you can visit ours too. Nancy Glover

Abi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

BRIANA said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY!

The McEwans said...

Ahhhhhh. She is so dang cute, and the binky idea is fantastic!

Steve and Liz Evans said...

Hey we have decided to go private and need your email. Thanks!