Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

Although it was a gloomy day. . . that didn't stop us from having a great time spending the day together as a family.

We started by going to visit a few graves in Salt Lake.

Growing up I have many memories of visiting graves with my Nanna and Papa on Memorial Day. They always had the car loaded up with flowers and lots of treats and drinks for the kids. On the way to each cemetery, Nanna would tell us stories about the people we were about to visit. It always turned out to be a memorable day for our family.

Logan and I have decided that we want to do the same thing with our children. It's hard to explain graves and a cemetery to a three year old who is full of questions. . . but we did the best we could.

We stared out by visiting my Nanna's parents. This brought back a lot of memories.


Then we headed over to Logan's grandpa on his mother's side. He passed away a few years ago. I was lucky enough to have met him before he passed.


Next up we went to visit Grandma and Grandpa Hammer's grave. They both passed away a short time after Logan and I were married. . . but I have a few really great memories of them. I'm glad I got to meet them.

{Ayden's debut as a photographer. Not too bad eh?}

We headed out to Herriman to have a BBQ with Colter, Abi, their kids, and the Newton gang at Kristen and Steve's house.

Don't worry, they are currently having a fabulous time in Las Vegas. . . I'm sure they won't mind.

The kids had a great time destroying. . . I mean playing there (sorry Kristen) and we enjoyed the company as well.

Logan and Colter had a soccer game that evening so I took my kids and we got to watch daddy play soccer. The kids love to watch him especially when he scores the only 2 goals for their team.

The kids fell asleep on the way home so we had a relaxing evening together.
The perfect end to a nice holiday.

10 comments:

laura said...

Fun! I showed Connor pictures of the shortest tree in the line...how we find Nanna's parents.

Don't you have such fond memories of Memorial Day?

Love you!

Richard B said...

Thanks Mary for continuing with the Rife Memorial Day tradition. You and Laura Anne will be blessed and welcomed with open arms in the here after. Great fun and good memories.

jenny said...

That's cool that you guys did that! You have such cute family- I love the picture Ayden took! What a stud! You guys are good parents starting with them young.Love you - can't wait to play on Thurs!!

Chelle said...

Mary, I got choked up reading this post. I am completely impressed that you are carrying on that tradition. Your Memorial Day recap sounds just like how a Memorial day should be. We took our kids to hit balls at the tennis court and then watched a movie. See the contrast? ha. Hats off to you and Logan for make such a meaningful day for your family. And congrats, Log on the kick butt soccer playing! xo

Hayward Family said...

Look at your cute family!! Your posts are always so cute!! I haven't been on forever, but when I get a minute, I always like to look at your posts..

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're continuing the tradition! Next year let's do it together!

Katie said...

What a fun day! I love any time that we spend all day together as a family doing FUN things instead of chores :-)

WIKKY said...

That is such a great tradition! We may have to copy you guys and make it a little "more" special. We visit Daddy's mommies grave every memorial day and her birthday, mother's day. We don't make it much further than that and it really would be special to visit my grandparents! Way to go!
And way to go Logan on being the soccer pro!

Richard said...

Thanks so much for carrying on the tradition, Mary and Logan. I'm proud of you guys. You are wonderful parents.

Gram said...

It was nice to read your post and see the photos. I am happy that you had a good Memorial Day and are following the tradition in your family. Ayden did a good job on his picture, too. Congrats, on the soccer goals Logan.