Wednesday, December 5, 2007

{Playing dress-up}

This was originally going to be a post about Sophie, and her new found love for dressing up, but I've been thinking about it and I think we all probably play "dress-up" every now and again.

I know that sometimes I look at my kids and think, is this real. Am I really a mom? It seems like I'm just pretending sometimes, ya know. Parenthood is something you think about a lot growing up and you never really know what to expect. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love being a mom and spending my days in the company of these 2 crazy nuts, but sometimes it feels like a dream.

And as far as dressing "up", that is something I miss as a mom. There just isn't any reason to wear nice stuff, spend time and energy on your hair and make-up, when you are going to be scrubbing floors and changing poopy diapers all day. I just doesn't make sense. That's why I get really excited when we have a date planned or something going on that gives me the opportunity to dress up a little.

So back to the point. . . here is my baby girl doing her new favorite thing, dressing-up. She brings me things that she finds around the house (aka boots, hats, jackets, etc) and has me put them on her. Then she laughs at herself. What an angel, I love this girls so much.

5 comments:

WIKKY said...

Loving the scarf, vest, sweater and boots! Ready for winter! It's always nice to have an excuse to really pamper yourself and dress up. Go on a hot date, girl! I'll babysit...

Gram said...

What a cute little Sophie. All kids love to dress up, don't they? I am surprised she still isn't wearing her Halloween costume. I am so happy you love being a mother and you are a good one.

Lindsay said...

I feel the same way. We spend our whole childhood playing "house" and carrying around baby dolls and pushing strollers....then when it happens for real, it just feels,...like I'm playing house (with no sleep--that part is very real!!). And I am with you on dressing up. Especially when a lot of times I don't see anyone I know and stay home all day. Why dress up? I miss getting all decked out, but there's no use, I smell like spit up by the end of the day and my baby could care less what I look like!

nanajan said...

You're a great Mom, Mary! Sometimes I feel like I'm still playing house, too!?! Sophie and Ayden are just adorable. I'm so thankful for blogs so I can see their cute pictures and know what they're up to.

Kari said...

Mary, thanks for posting a comment on my blog. Its so fun to find new people! Your kids are darling and they look just like little Rife's!

Your mom gave me one of your cool nursing wraps for a baby gift and I have to say its pretty handy! I really love it. Great idea!

(I dito Lindsay's comment)