Monday, October 1, 2007

Evaluation period

Do you ever one of those moments when you realize you're not on track to becoming the person you'd like to be?

On Sunday I was able to listen to a man give a talk (because my kids weren't there) and thats when it hit me. I was extremely impressed with him. He was beaming with the spirit for one. Towards the end of his talk, he payed tribute to his wife saying that he would not be the man he is today without her help and example. At that moment I realized that I need to make a change. Somehow I've lost sight of the goal and I'm not moving in the right direction. My actions don't only affect me now, they affect my whole family, and especially Logan. It is my responsibility as his wife to be a good example as well as to motivate him to be better. He is already so awesome and I'm lucky to have his example.

I thought about it a lot after that and came to the conclusion that, I want to be great. There are so many people that I look up to that are great. They make good choices and they care about others. During this evaluation period I have recommitted myself to becoming one of these people. I'm so lucky to have so many great examples around me and I have a renewed desire to improve myself and spend my time in the service of others.

8 comments:

Abi said...

Mary I think the best part is that you realized what you want and are willing to take the steps to get there. That is so important in life!
Isn't it a wonder that we actually hear the talks when the kids are gone?

Gram said...

Good for you Mary! We should always be trying to improve ourselves. (I think you are pretty great as it is.)When we hear talks and read books that encourage us to keep trying it should only produce good and not make us feel guilty that we haven't yet attained what we want to be.

Karrissa Winward said...

I was thinking about this same thing after the RS broadcast. I hate going to things like that because I get so inspired to be this awesome person, I know I can do it, and then I just go about my day and forget about the stuff I wanted to improve on. I know how you feel but I know you can be whoever you want to be! Love you!

WIKKY said...

Mary, you are great but we always have to strive to be even better than we are now. It puts it into perspective when you are doing it for the person you love (Logan).

Herriman Blue said...

Always a good thing to reevaluate life and make sure you're headed in the right direction. Make sure not to put too much pressure on yourself though, we think you're great the way you are!!

We're all a work in progress, right?

linds jo said...

I live for moments like those!

Natalie Que said...

Hi Mary,

I happened on to your blog from Lindsay Bench's and thought I would say a quick hello. I don't feel like I knew you very well, so sorry if it is a little weird to hear from me! I just thought, however, that it is always fun to hear that some one thinks your family is adorable and that you seem really happy! So I thought I would let you know that I am so glad to hear that you have such a happy life with your husband and your kids are just absolutely adorable!

That is a really neat realization about wanting to be better. That is so great to have wonderful, lifechanging moments like that! I really am so glad to see that you have such a wonderful life and family.

Best!
Natalie (Gildea) Riley

PS: I ran into your parents in Seoul a few years ago, we had just arrived there and I think and they were just heading back home.

nanajan said...

I'm so proud of the person you are now, Mary and the person you will become as you stretch and grow. Love you! MOM