Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The beauty of the earth

I am not a person who usually appreciates the beauty of the earth. I don't really like gardening because theres dirt and bugs. I can see how people would like it, but the cons out weigh the pros for me.

Last week I decided it was time to buck up and pick the strawberries. I picked them in the spring and got so many we didn't know what to do with them. This time around I wanted to make jam. I spent about a half hour in the yard and got enough to make 13 jars of jam with some still left over.

I love the 5:30 classes at my gym. Today the teacher told us to go home and eat some complex carbohydrates to see if it would maximize our next workout. I decided to make a shake since I usually just eat an apple and that didn't sound good. I had a can of peaches and some bananas so I went outside and picked some strawberries and raspberries from the yard. I made the most delicious shake with only fruit, half of which was from my very own yard. When you buy the fruit at the grocery store you don't really appreciate that such amazing things come from the earth. I had a moment to think about what a cool world we live in. The Lord was really looking out for us. He not only provided food for us, but delicious food for us to enjoy.

8 comments:

Abi said...

So true!! You have a fabulous garden! What a great shake! Good job on the early morning workouts!

WIKKY said...

It's because you have an amazing strawberry patch!!! You'll have to make that shake for us next time.

Lindsay said...

I gotta get some motivation somewhere...Working out has completely made its way out of my budha belly. Tell me I get some energy back when baby comes. For some reason, I feel like I will be so tired from sleepless nights at that point I won't want to work out. Where do I get the motivation again?

I LOVE fruit shakes. And I love that you have strawberries. You are so fun!

Herriman Blue said...

I guess I need to be that kind of instructor, but I'm just not. Instead I tell my class that right after class I'm running to get my diet coke so I can make it through the day!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mary - just for a moment you shared my love of nature! I love you!

BRIANA said...

MMM Strawberry jam!! Lucky for you---I had to pay through the nose for all my strawberries to make jam! That is so awesome that you have them in your own yard! It was good to read your post since I am not really feeling much beauty from the earth after 4 months of 110 degree plus weather! But it really is beautiful and it will eventually cool down!! YAHOO!

Codye said...

You are so lucky!! I love fruit shakes and it makes them that much better when you make them from your own garden! Can't wait to try one!

Anonymous said...

Did Ayden help you pick all the strawberries and then eat them? It is really nice that you have that much fruit in your yard. I am happy that you experienced that love of nature. The earth is such a blessing for us and I do love its beauty. I am afraid you got your disgust of digging in the dirt from me. I just hate dirt under my fingernails. Love flowers, but hate to do what you have to do to get them.