Wednesday, February 23, 2011

{ Nuvo Convention }

Ayden and I spent last weekend at the NUVO CONVENTION.
It is a relatively new but incredible dance convention. The list of teachers is unbelievable, and it was an honor to go.

I was debating wether or not to take Ayden, knowing that he would be taking class for 12 hrs in 2 days. So originally I signed him up for the nuby class that is taught only on Saturday. Well he was dying to come on Friday so he could take class from some of the choreographers he knows from SYTYCD so I brought him along. And he LOVED it!

Not only did he love them, they loved him! He got so much individual attention! It was awesome. Here are some pictures of him with the incredible staff . . .


This is Travis Wall. Anyone who watches So You Think you Can Dance knows who Travis Wall is. He was runner up on the 2nd season of the show. But since then he has been back on the show to choreograph some of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen. I took his class with my girls and it was an incredible combo. He is amazing.


This is Ray Leeper. He has been around for a long time and he is the director of NUVO. He used to come to the studio I grew up at and choreograph a few pieces each year. I have also taken class from him many of times at other Conventions. A few days before the event, I sent him a message on facebook just saying hi and letting him know how excited I am to bring my son and my girls to his convention. When I got there he came right up and hugged me. He said "of course I remember you! How could I forget a tall beauty?!" I was flattered!


This is Stacy Tookey. She has done choreography all over the world including SYTYCD. She is so beautiful! She absolutely adored Ayden. She knew his name and kept calling on him to perform things for the other dancers. She even said "Ladies . . . this guys got it going on!"

I also took Stacy's class. She taught an amazing contemporary combo. Love her.


Ayden was so excited to take from Sonya Tayeh. She is one of the most interesting people. Yes, she has a mohawk. But she can dance and interpret music like no one I've ever seen. She is so creative and a little strange at times. She is an incredible teacher though. She wouldn't let those kids get away with even the slightest thing. But she made it fun and interesting.


Last, but definitely not least . . . Ivan Koumaev. He is one of the most amazing hip hop dancers I've ever seen. He taught an awesome combo! I took his class with my older girls and we had a blast. He was also on season 2 of shweebs (sytycd nickname in our home) and he was one of my favorite.

It was an absolute dream weekend for me. I was in heaven. And I'm so happy that Ayden loved it as much as he did.
I know there will be many more weekends spent dancing with my son. So fun.

3 comments:

Janet said...

So cool! I'm so glad you had a fun weekend of dance with Ayden. I always loved Ray Leeper's choreography.

Gram said...

That was a neat post to read about. I am so happy you both had a good time. Ayden loves to dance as much as his mother does. What a neat deal as a 6 yr. old to be singled out and given attention. I am sure it helped his self esteem. (not that he needs it). The pictures were fun to see.

Lindsay said...

Um,...I am in love with Travis Wall. Your boy is a stud.